Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Teachable?

One thing I share all the time with my youth is the importance of always being a student. If we desire for God to shape and mold us into His image, we need to remain teachable. Lately I have been noticing that I am not practicing what I am preaching. There are times when I do not see a teachable spirit within me. I do not dig into scripture on a consistent basis. I rely more on myself to make choices and decisions than coming to God in prayer. I want to pick and choose when I want to learn and what I want to learn, which is an arrogant attitude that has no place in the heart of a believer. If you are like me at times, that way of life will prevent us from so many teachable moments throughout the day that God has for us.

Proverbs 3:5-7 says, “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil.” To have a teachable heart, we must come to terms that we do not know it all and never will. Proverbs goes on later to say that, “He who trusts in himself is a fool”. Where does your trust lie today? Whatever is going on right now, there is a bigger reason and purpose behind it. The Creator has a lesson for you today, do not miss it!

1 comment:

Stephen Nelson said...

Good reminder, Jer. Most of us in professional ministry have seasons (hopefully, not whole lifetimes) when we do not have a teachable spirit for whatever reason. I've learned to not take myself too seriously - this helps me remain teachable... but I still have my days.